Tuesday, August 02, 2011

The Physics of Guinness Beer

Physics and beer... I know to some people (you know who you are, college kids!), that's a definition of heaven. :)

This article, video, and paper should be up a lot of people's alley. It discusses the physics of Guinness beer, and tries to tackle some very profound questions:


For example, look closely at a pint of Guinness and tell me: do the bubbles go up, or do the bubbles go down? Why is the head coloured the way it is? Is beer foam a gas, liquid or solid? I thought you might enjoy this little video as a follow up, where an Irish physicist discusses the "fizzics" of bubble formation in Guinness beer.
 There is a video link to the article, which I will also link to here:




And the paper[1] that was published in Physics of Fluids (I kid you not) can be obtained from here as well.

Zz.

[1] M. Robinson et al., Phys. Fluids v. 20, p.067101 (2008).

1 comment:

Josh said...

Mmmmmm, the physics tastes so good.