Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Review of Bob Park's "Superstition: Belief in the Age of Science"

Anyone who has read my blog for any considerable length of time will realize that Bob Park is my "hero". It isn't because I agree with him all the time, even though I do most of the time. But rather, it is because he was one of the first, if not the first, physicist to go after these crackpots and the silliness that tried to pass along as being legitimate. After battling crackpots all over the internet, it is nice to know that there's someone else with some authority that is doing the same thing and pointing out that the Emperor really has no clothes. Needless to say, I read his "What's New" column every week, and would say that he was one of the first physics blogger.

In any case, one of Bob Parks earlier books "Voodoo Science" is one of the books I highly recommend people to read. He now has a follow-up book titled "Superstition: Belief in the Age of Science" that will cause a lot of people to be unhappy, and that's just the way I like it! :)

I haven't had the chance to read the book, but there is a very detailed review of it written by Prof. Adrian Melott. You will get a very good idea of the nature of the book from the review. I just can't wait to get my hands on it and read it myself.

Zz.

No comments: