Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Retired Physicist Makes Cheap Touchpad Stylus

{Don't miss our nomination period to nominate your most attractive physicists}

If you have a tablet, you know how expensive a stylus can get. I bought one for my iPad, and I looked for the cheapest (~$12 at Best Buy). Turns out, I wasn't the only one who thought that, even at that price, it is a tad too expensive. A retired physicist thought so too, but he decided to do something about it.

The instructions for installing Microsoft Office on his new tablet suggested purchasing a stylus to make it easier to type on the keypad. When Gordon began researching that suggestion, though, he discovered that the better ones cost from $15 to $50.

"I thought that seemed a lot of money, and I thought that if they do work, I can make one myself," Gordon said.

Using his knowledge of the technology involved in touch screens, Gordon set to work.
You may read the link to see what he did. He's selling his "homemade" stylus for $5 and all proceeds benefit the Amherst Senior Center.

BTW, CNET had ran an article on how to make your own stylus in less than 2 minutes! Granted, it looks rather ... er .... rustic, but it works in a pinch.

Zz.

No comments: