Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Frank Wilczek's "A Long View Of Particle Physics"

{Don't miss our nomination period to nominate your most attractive physicists}

This is probably either an excerpt, or the text of a talk given by Frank Wilczek at last year's Solvay Conference.

Abstract: 2011 marked the hundredth anniversary both of the famous Solvay conferences, and of the Geiger-Marsden experiment that launched the modern understanding of subatomic structure. I was asked to survey the status and prospects of particle physics for the anniversary Solvay conference, with appropriate perspective. This is my attempt.

It's a surprisingly short paper, considering the title, which means it is short on details. Still, it might be an informative read for some people.

Zz.

2 comments:

LGW said...

Completely unrelated to this, but to your attractive physicist competition. I've found it silly until now (and for the most part still do!) but I noticed a study on physorg that makes me wonder if maybe a great-looking, brilliant female physicist being given credit for both would actually help draw more reluctant girls into physics. It's a valid point whether we should be happy children choose their careers based on gender roles (and not one I'm informed enough to participate in!), but these are the circumstances.

http://phys.org/news/2012-04-fair-physicist-feminine-math-science.html

ZapperZ said...

Just for the record, *I* consider the contest rather silly myself! It is because of its silliness that I run it.

Zz.