Wednesday, August 01, 2007

The Perfect Summer Combination: Beer and Physics

I posted a while back an article that I found where a university was actually advertising a "postdoctoral fellowship" in .... get this .... beer studies! At that time, I was having quite a bit of fun with it because, frankly, I didn't know if it was a serious article, or an April Fool's joke.

Well, this one appears to be legitimate enough.

And that brings us back to beer. There’s no doubt that bubbles are a large part of the drink’s appeal, and Page’s technique can provide precise information about their evolution.

“A lot of effort has gone into figuring out how to get just the right concentration and size of bubbles, and how to produce the perfect head on a glass of beer,” he says. “There are people who work in that industry who know much, much more about that than I do. Could diffusing acoustic wave spectroscopy be useful to them? Maybe. But for me, beer is just a good example of the kind of thing you can do using this technique.”


I guess the beer bubbles are as good as any. I wonder if you can still drink it after doing all that studies on it?

Zz.

No comments: