Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Science of Liberty

That is the title of Timothy Ferris latest book, which I haven't read yet, so let's get that out of the way.

This is a news article on Ferris's book that makes quite a provocative claim: that science and democracy go hand in hand.

"I'm trying to draw attention," said Ferris, "to what I think has always been a fundamental connection between science and liberal democracy, that the reason we had an Enlightenment -- and the democratic revolution that everyone agrees followed from the Enlightenment -- was because of the discovery of science."

I also find it rather fascinating that, towards the end, he mentioned that his most ardent critic are the post-modern left. I can't believe this group of people are still making such noise after being thoroughly embarrassed by the Sokal hoax, and Sokal's continued revelation of what fraud these people are!


No comments: