Thursday, June 05, 2008

DOE Submits Yucca Mountain License Application

The Dept. of Energy submits a license application to the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission for the federal nuclear waste repository at Yucca Mountain, Nevada.

I will clearly qualify myself as someone who support nuclear power, be it in the form of fission reactors that we currently have, or development/research of fusion reactors (though not necessarily in the current trend). However, the central issue is still the waste generated by nuclear power plants, especially those in the US that are prohibited by law to be reprocessed, unlike those done in Europe and Japan. So baring a change in policy, having a safe place to store these nuclear waste is of utmost importance if support for that energy source is needed. That's why, after a lengthy study, the DOE is now able to apply to make the Yucca Mountain a repository site.

We'll see how it goes...

Zz.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi ZapperZ,

I was onboard the yahoo groups when you first wrote "So you want to be a physicist" Part I. I was around for Part 1 and 2, but was inactive from that group a few weeks later. And now I've seen that it turned into a full-fledged 18 part series. I discovered this today, some 5 or 6 years later. I'm actually at part IX of your series, but I know it'll be helpful on the rest of the path. Anyway, I asked you back in the day whether I should got to UCSD or UCLA for physics studies. I want to thank you for your work on the series, and say I'm glad to see you're still around!

-astronomy88

ZapperZ said...

It's very good to hear from you. I'm always happy to get some feedback on the essay, since it allows me to make modification that I think is necessary to plug in the many holes that it might have.

So don't be a stranger anymore... :)

Zz.