Thursday, September 22, 2011

"The Big Bang Theory" Fact-Checker

I know a lot of people love The Big Bang Theory. I have to admit that I haven't even seen a single episode. I have nothing against it. I just don't often watch network TV, or TV series.

Still, this is an interesting article on the person responsible for doing the physics fact-checking for the show - Prof. David Saltzberg of UCLA.

But he’s a rock star because Big Bang Theory is the least-impressive thing on his resume. Saltzberg, 44, has a bachelor’s in physics from Princeton University, where he worked on the Cyclotron. He has a Ph.D. in physics from the University of Chicago and did his post-doc at CERN, the European nuclear research center. These days, when he’s not reading show scripts, he teaches a full course load at UCLA. In his free time he flies scientific balloons in Antarctica and uses hiatuses from the show to hop over to Switzerland to work on the Large Hadron Collider.
All I can say is, at the very least, this TV series tries to show some respect towards the science, rather than just making things up, or worse still, consulting someone that doesn't have the expertise.

Zz.

No comments: