Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Contributions of Physics to the Information Age

As most of you may know, I get very tired very quickly when people ask for the "uses" or application of physics. I think many people are still under the impression that physics deals mainly with esoteric subjects that have very little direct impact on most people's lives. It doesn't help that when physics does get some form of publicity, it main comes in the form of String Theory, astrophysics, and other forms that have little direct impact on most people.

So for my small part in getting rid of such ignorance, I thought I should point out this very good site on the central role that physics has played in the area that impacts everyone here - information technology.

It should have plenty of links and info for the general public to realize that a lot of physics and physicists were involved in ALL of the advanced electronics that they now enjoy.

Zz.

No comments: